Τhe Royal Family of Greece had patronised high-society philanthropic societies since the 19th century. In 1947, during the Greek Civil War, the “Charity Drive ‘Welfare for the Northern Provinces of Greece’ Under the High Authority of Her Majesty, the Queen”, was established by Royal Decree. It became known as Eranos (Charity Drive) in Greek. Initially, it oversaw the transfer of children from conflict zones, carried out by the National Army, to specially organised Paidopoleis (“Child Cities”), where children were “re-educated”. Its legal form was a Committee, and never acquired a more official form, remaining a private domain of the Queen, although publicly funded through taxation. The term of the Eranos Committee was prolonged by successive Royal Decrees, including the one of 1955, which changed its name to Royal Welfare, and other legislation. In subsequent years it also operated Houses of the Child, which functioned as nursery or elementary schools, among many other welfare services. Royal Welfare was dissolved in 1970, by the Military Junta, which brought all its services into a National Welfare Organisation.